- “You don’t have to hold my hand, Finny,” I say.
“I want to!,” he protests. “There’s a lot of people here & I don’t want to get captured!”
- “Dad-O, do you see what I’m doing?” asks Finn. “I’m getting my muscles a little bit stronger & heavier so I can do special techniques!”
- I told the kids I’m visiting a guy named Stu today. “A Boy Named Stu??” asked Finn.
- “Dad-O, when I’m older we’ll get a dog who *won’t* chew kids’ toys, and we’ll name him Paul Simon!”
- “Pumped-Up Kicks?” Finn says incredulously. “I thought Kix were cereal.”
- Listening to “Another One Bites The Dust.” Finn: “That Freddie Markery is a weird guy, Dad-O. ‘Hangin’ on the edge of your sink’?”
- I’ve raised a 4yo son who, in the middle of McDonald’s & out of the blue, yells “Captain Sullenberger? Captain Cheeseburger!!” I rule. 🙂
- “When it’s your birthday, do you have to eat real food, or can you just eat cake?” asks a hopeful, birthday-eve Finn.
- The boys brandish curly straws.
Henry: “This is my sales tool!”
Me: “Your… what??”
Finn: “Yeah, they help managers!”
(No idea, I swear!)
- The lads are debating anatomy over breakfast:
F: “Elephants are meat.”
F: “*You’re* meat!”
H: “But my *bones* are not meat!!”
- Neighbor kids invite us to their treehouse. “It’s our secret lavatory!” Boy I hope that’s not true.
- We’re playing pirates out back. “You make me peel potatoes, Dad-O,” says Finn. “I’m your galley sleeve!”
One reply on “Transient Witticisms: Food, Music, & More”
I think Bryan was 7 and Sean was 5 de edad. They were playing at the table and also checking out the Jazz Quintet on tv that I was watching. The group included a piano. When they finished playing, the moderator introduced each musician and mentioned their instrument. When the show ended Sean says, “What the heck is a jazz penis?”