Man, I’ve been totally neglecting this category, so let me set about fixing that. Today’s edition: Music.
- “Dad-O,” asks radio-listening Henry, “are ‘musicians’ real? And do they really pull rabbits out of hats?”
- Henry: “Dad-O, what is ‘heavy metal?'”
Me: “Oh, stuff like ‘Breaking The Law’ & ‘TNT.'”
H.: “Oh! Heavy metal is good for me!!”
- Listening to Lorde’s “Teams,” 4yo Henry says, “She actually takes her hands off & throws them up in the air!” (I’d be kinda over that, too.)
- From the back seat this morning: “Dad-O, could a baby duck fit into a can of beer?” I guess the Pixies bring the weird out of Henry. #age4
- 80’s rocker nomenclature baffles young Henry.
“I guess he must love watermelons.”
“John Cougar Watermeloncamp.”
- Henry, singing: “We built this city…”
Me, chuckling: “What would Mom-O say if she heard you?”
Henry: “G__DAMN it!!”
(M.: “He’s not wrong.”)
- “The Rolling Stones?” Henry’s intrigued. “Do they sing quarry music?” Rock on, little man.
- Upon hearing Neil young’s Harvest Moon, Henry says “I think this is an old prospector making train track music.”
- I hear crooner Finn mashing up José Feliciano & Joy Division’s “Love Will Tear Us Apart”: “Feliz Navidad, aaa-gain…”
- I make the mistake of turning on KFOX in the car. From the back seat the boys immediately yell, “What Does KFOX Say?? Nya nya nyah nyah…!”
- My reciting of Public Enemy lyrics leaves Finn shaking his head. “I’m a white man, and I’m not familiar with anything Dad-O says!!”