Oh Westy, we love you so… but sadly the old girl gave out during the first phase of our post-Christmas trip to southern California. Fortunately we were able to limp to an exit in Salinas near a whole cluster of car dealerships, and after a few hours of effort, we were able to have the Westy towed to a mechanic while we continued our trip in the last available rental car (a “cozy” Tesla crammed with four adult-sized humans + Seamus).
Fortunately the rest of our trip was much more restful than eventful. Highlights included:
- Stopping off in San Luis Obispo, home of Finney’s Kitchen.
- Finding our way to a quaint AirBnB cabin in Montecito (not on the property of Oprah or Prince Harry, which must’ve been nearby).
- Walking around lovely Santa Barbara, checking out the beautiful Mission & train station while I nervously checked the score of the Irish game (happily a beatdown of Oregon State!).
- Capturing sunset drone & Lego photos.
- Exploring a shoreline butterfly grove with Seamy & friends.
- Scoring some vintage records & exploring funky shops.
- Meeting a friendly Navy captain-turned-Googler at a historic train trestle (below).
Check out the full gallery to see the goings-on.